With utility bills on the rise you may be searching for ways to save money on your water usage. With this in mind the option of a water meter may be something you choose to investigate.
What is a Water Meter?
A water meter is used to record the amount of water a household uses. From this your water bill can be calculated by your utility company who will charge you accordingly.
If you use a water meter your monthly bills will be set according to the amount of water you use. This system can be used instead of rateable value (RV) which is when you pay a fixed amount.
What are the Advantages of a Water Meter?
- You pay for what you use. If your household uses a small amount of water then a meter may be cheaper than paying a standard fixed amount.
- For most homes a water meter can be installed for free.
- By controlling your water usage you can reduce your bill.
What are the Disadvantages of a Water Meter?
- If you use a lot of water (e.g for your gardening) then a fixed payment may be better value.
- Uncertainty of how much the annual bill will be.
- You must give a water meter reading for accurate billing.
For tips and advice on reducing water usage in your home read our ‘Save on Water in the Bathroom‘ blog.
Author: Laura Davis